The temperatures for this week look great. If you want to work outside on Spring landscape chores, here is a list of what can be done now.
- Clean your perennial beds.
- Put down a garden weed preventer and work it into top inch of soil (or water it in). Treflan Weed and Grass Stopper (the same product as Preen only less expensive) works well, but there is a new product this year to consider. Hi-Yield Turf and Ornamental Weed Stopper prevents weed germination like Treflan does but this newer product kills tiny weed seedlings as well so it works better if some weed seeds have already sprouted since it contains Dimension.
- Remulch your landscape beds as needed. Consider mulching with Grade A Cedar mulch. It stays in place better than other mulches and it decomposes more slowly that do hardwood muches. Although it is more expensive, it lasts longer!
- Cut back your rose bushes.
- Sow grass seed or overseed to fill in bare spots in your lawn.
- Spray your fruit trees with Fertilome Horticultural Oil Spray to kill any insects that have over-wintered in your trees. This spray works well on burning bushes also if you had a problem with spider mites on them last year.
- Put Milorganite organic fertilizer on your beds. This great product is a slow-release fertilizer which feeds as your plants need it.